March 09, 2005

Southwest SBL Meeting

Well, the Big 12 conference basketball tournament is this weekend, and you know what that means... That's right; it means that it is also the regional SBL meeting of the Southwest Commission on Religious Studies this weekend (March 11-13, 2005). Why those two always correspond is beyond me. I have actually made some of both when the tourney is in Dallas as well.

I think I'm most looking forward to the book display and discounts. Following that, I'm interested in the NT session: "The Memory of Jesus in the Early Church". Daryl Schmidt, with whom I did Septuagint studies, is presenting and Michael White (of my college alma mater The University of Texas) is responding. I suppose I should be looking forward to Amy-Jill Levine in the joint session: "Making Jesus an Anti-Semite: the 'Old Testament,' Historical Criticism, and Liberation Theology;" I'll try and get siked for it.
I'd really like to hear the general Gospels section that Jeffrey Peterson is presiding over, and especially James Kennedy's Presidential Address: "By what Murky Light? Some Thoughts on Poetics and Hermeneutics." But, alas, I did not arrange a pulpit replacement at my church for Sunday morning.

If any fellow bibliogloggers or e-lister types will be there, let me know. I'll try and keep an eye out to meet and greet. Perhaps we could do lunch on Saturday.

No comments: